Patients with various chronic diseases are seen at this department such as those suffering from:
- Disorders of the respiratory system including asthma, acute and chronic bronchitis, pneumonia and diseases of the pleura
- Endocrine disorders including diabetes mellitus, hypo and hyperthyroidism and diseases of the adrenal cortex
- Gastrointestinal disorders including diseases of the esophagus, peptic ulcer disease, disorders of absorption, inflammatory bowel disease
- Disorders of the liver including hepatitis, hyperbilirubinemias and liver diseases due to various causes.
- Connective tissue disorders like rheumatoid arthritis and vasculitis syndromes. Another major group of patients treated include those suffering from hypertension, hyperlipidemias, infectious diseases, gout and anemias.
Since the Internal Medicine clinic is very busy, prior appointments are recommendend. Those suffering from chronic diseases like diabetes, hypertension and hyperlipidemias can join the AMH diabetic, hypertension and lipid management packages with prior appointment.
Tel: +973 17 248 100
Helping you to manage your diabetes … for Life
American Mission Hospital is committed to providing a cost-effective, comprehensive and caring service for all its diabetic patients.
To make this a reality, the hospital has developed a ‘Diabetics health care team’ with a number of doctors and specialists working together under the umbrella of a Diabetes Clinic.
Specialists include internists, an ophthalmologist, nutritionist and dental surgeon throughout the week to support you in managing your diabetes in the best possible way.
As part of its commitment to further strengthen the program for diabetics, AMH now has ten nurses of various nationalities who will act as nurse counselors to coordinate patient care and be the primary patient educators.
The service is based at the Overkamp Clinic in Manama but patients can also been seen in the AMH Saar Clinic.
Caring for diabetes can often be expensive and time consuming. Keeping this in mind, the services of the Diabetes Clinic are being provided as “annual” and “follow-up” packages which are attractively priced and will include extensive physician input and laboratory work with the aim of helping you to manage your diabetes … for Life.
Benefits of the new AMH Diabetes Package
- Health care team approach ensures all-round support from a team of doctors and specialists
- Support extends beyond the patient to his/her family to ensure that diabetics can successfully manage their condition from home.
- Nurse counsellors provide individual and group education sessions for patients and their families, as well as practical training in such areas as monitoring blood glucose, injecting Insulin, etc.
- Nurse counselors will be based both at Manama and Saar.
- All patients will be seen by a nutritionist who will provide specific advice tailored to each individual.
- With the addition of a new multi-lingual dietitian, we are able to provide a service in tune with the diverse cultural and dietary backgrounds of our patients.
- Comprehensive evaluation by the AMH eye specialist.
- Comprehensive check-up by the AMH dental surgeon.
- Obstetricians are able to access the services of the diabetes team to better manage pregnancy-related diabetes.
* The hospital continues to provide in-patient services for diabetics.
What are the costs?
Diabetes has assumed epidemic proportions in the local community but AMH believes that its re-launched Diabetes Clinic will play an active role in reducing the burden of illness and disability by providing quality care which is affordable and effective.
With this in mind, AMH has developed a new package based on an initial assessment followed by quarterly reviews. The price reflects a 50% reduction in prices at AMH.
What is included?
(1)Full diabetes profile in the laboratory
(5)Full examination by doctor
(7)Dental examination (including 2 bitewings)
* Free Glucometer with package booking *
Control period (first month):
(1)Blood sugar (fasting) Reflo, 3 times
(2)Doctor review, 3 occasions
(1)HBA1c (each quarter)
(2)Micro Albumin (at 6 months)
(3)Nurse Educator (at 3 and 9 months)
(4)Dietician (at 6 months)
(5)Doctor review (every 3 months)
Dr. Joyce de Leon Lopez
Dr. Omaim Al Shaikh
Dr. Edwin Jeyapaul Ratnaraj