Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Collaboration, integrity, leadership and continuous support from the management are the keys of our “High Commitment, High Performance” and the continuous process of quality improvement to support the clinical areas of the hospital: We carry out several internal and external Quality Assurance checks, We have linkages with Local and International Reference Laboratories, we maintain International Guidelines and Accreditation requirements and adhere to the requirements of NHRA and the Ministry of Health.
The Laboratory’s Mission is “To Provide the Health Care System High-Quality Laboratory Diagnostic Services and to Help Improve the Health and Wellbeing of the People we Serve”. We align ourselves with the mission of the hospital by striving for accuracy of testing and speed of service, acquiring and applying technology through the innovative use of information systems and placing the needs of each individual as ”Patient FIRST”. To date, we offer a wide range of laboratory examinations to aid physicians in the diagnosis and management of various diseases.
The Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine provides 24 hours a day, 7 days a week services to inpatients and outpatients. A multicultural workforce comprised of a Specialist Pathologist, Lab Manager, Senior Lab Technologists & Lab Technologists, Phlebotomists and Clerical Support Staff( Receptionist & Couriers) are responsible for delivering these grade and quality tests that aim at elevating positive patient care experience.
The scope of Laboratory Services:
- Phlebotomy Services: Extraction of blood and collection of specimens from the wards /outpatients.
- Clinical BioChemistry: offers a wide range of examinations utilizing automated methods. It concentrates mainly on the chemical analysis of various metabolites, electrolytes and enzymes primarily using the serum and other body fluids.
- Immunology and Serology: concerned with the diagnosis of infectious diseases utilizing both automated and manual serologic methods.
- Hematology: offers examinations ranging from cell counts, cell indices and determination of bleeding parameters for the diagnosis of hematologic disorders, utilizing both automated and manual methods.
- Blood Bank: primarily concerned with the transfusion services of the hospital: Its primary goal is to provide adequate, safe, compatible blood and blood components to patients needing a blood transfusion.
- Clinical Microscopy: deals with the physiochemical and microscopic analysis of various body fluids (Urine, Stool, Fluid, Semen..). These examinations are performed manually utilizing various reagents.
- Microbiology: deals with the processing of specimens for bacteriologic studies utilizing automated and manual methods.
- Molecular Biology: deals with the nature of biological phenomena at the molecular level through the study of DNA and RNA, proteins, and other macromolecules involved in genetic information and cell function, characteristically making use of advanced tools and techniques of separation, manipulation, imaging, and analysis.
- Histopathology: responsible for processing specimens for histopathological and cytological examinations coming from various surgical procedures.
Laboratory Services are an integral part of clinical practice, encompass a wide range of related activities including Infection Control, Quality Assurance, Blood Transfusion, Audit, Education, and Development…We continue to support good clinical practice by providing quality and timely Laboratory Services and a future plan to move towards AMH Laboratory Accreditation.