DEPARTMENT OF LABORATORY
We envision a world class, excellent laboratory staffed by well trained technicians and specialists providing quality, accurate and precise results. We shall provide affordable, prompt and reliable laboratory and diagnostic services for the advancement of health and wellness of the local citizens, expatriates and every individual seeking quality healthcare in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
The Department of Laboratory was established as a separate facility in 1984. From basic clinical laboratory examinations, it has expanded its services and operations over the years. We offer a wide range of examinations to aid physicians in the diagnosis and management of various diseases. We handle an average of 25,000 tests per month.
Scope of Services
We offer testing for Clinical Chemistry, Immunology/Serology, Hematology, Blood Banking, Microbiology, Urinalysis, Stool Analysis, Histopathology, Cytology and other miscellaneous tests. It also has links with local and international reference laboratories and adheres to the requirements of the Ministry of Health.
Extraction of blood and collection of specimens is done in this area. This section is also in charge of receiving specimens from the wards as well as from out-patients.
Our receptionists handle all queries regarding our services. Located in the Main laboratory, this unit is in charge of receiving all specimens, accessioning, prescreening, making order sheets, classifying and routing to different sections. It is also in charge of the dispatch of printed final results to doctors’ clinics.
The section of clinical chemistry offers a wide range of examinations utilizing automated methods. It concentrates mainly on the chemical analysis of various metabolites, electrolytes and enzymes primarily using serum and other body fluids. We have individual tests as well as profiles to carry out these determinations. These include:
- Electrolytes (Na, K, Cl, HCO3)
- Enzymes (CK, LDH, SGPT, SGOT, Alkaline Phosphatase)
- Elements (Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Iron)
- Lipids (Triglycerides, Cholesterol, LDL, HDL)
- Metabolites (Creatinine, Creatinine clearance, BUN, Bilirubin, Uric acid)
- Proteins (Albumin, Globulin, A/G ratio)
- Sugar determination (FBS, RBS, 2 hour PPBS, OGTT)
Immunology and Serology
This section is concerned with the diagnosis of infectious diseases utilizing both automated and manual serologic methods. This section is in collaboration with the other sections like chemistry and blood bank basically in the screening of various infectious diseases.
- Hepatitis Infection Profile (HBsAg, Anti-HCV, Anti-HAVIgM )
- Hepatitis B Panel (Anti-HBs, Anti-HBc, Anti-HBc IgM, HBeAg, Anti-HBe,)
- HIV test
- RPR test for Syphilis
- Helicobacter pylori
This section offers examinations ranging from cell counts, cell indices and determination of bleeding parameters for the diagnosis of hematologic disorders, utilizing both automated and manual methods.
- Cell counts (Differential count, WBC count, RBC count, platelet count, reticulocyte count)
- Coagulation studies (APTT, INR, PT)
- D-dimer and Fibrinogen
The blood bank is primarily concerned with the transfusion services of the hospital. Its primary goal is to provide adequate, safe, compatible blood and blood components to patients needing blood transfusion through the following services:
- Blood Group
Donor services (screening, bleeding, pre and post-donation counseling) of the hospital are referred to the Central Blood Bank of the country’s government hospital.
The section of clinical microscopy deals with the physiochemical and microscopic analysis of various body fluids. These examinations are performed manually utilizing various reagents.
- Fecal Occult Blood test
- Body Fluid analysis (pleural, synovial, ascitic etc)
- Pregnancy tests (Urine or Serum)
- Sperm analysis/ Sperm washing
This section deals with the processing of specimens for bacteriologic studies utilizing semi-automated and manual methods. Procedures include:
- Gram stain, AFB, KOH
- Culture for aerobic, anaerobic, fungal and Mycobacteria
- Antibiotic sensitivity testing
- Environmental surveillance
This section is responsible for processing specimens for histopathological and cytological examinations coming from various surgical procedures. Tissue specimens are processed using both manual and automated methods. Cervical smears as well as body fluid smears are subjected to cytology examination obtained through the Pap’s method of staining.
The Department of Laboratory is headed by a duly licensed pathologist with the following support staff:
- Chief Laboratory Technician (1)
- Senior Medical Laboratory Technicians (2)
- Medical Laboratory Technicians (10)
- Phlebotomists (4)
- Receptionists (2)